Saturday, February 27, 2010

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger

I'm taking a break from catching up on blogs from Casey's 2nd transplant to blog about something that Casey asked me yesterday that I will never ever forget.  He was just sitting in his favorite chair; I could tell he was thinking about something very profound.  He asks me out of nowhere, "Baby, do you think there is something really important that I have to do in life?  I mean, why else would God give me a second and then a third chance to live?  If there wasn't something really really important that I needed to accomplish, then God would have taken me the first time my liver failed."  He says he is going to work on figuring out what it is that he needs to accomplish to make this world a better place.  I'm sure God has a very special plan for him. He deserves the best life ever!

I have always wanted children so I told him that it was not his time to go because he still needs to father my baby! ;-) He had a vasectomy during his first marriage.  We had begun to talk about a reversal before he got sick the first time.  After he got sick, the thought of having that procedure done had to be put on hold for at least one year after his transplant.  One year after his transplant is when he found out that he had cancer and needed another transplant...so the reversal must be put on hold yet again for at least another year! He says, "Maybe that's it...maybe we are supposed to have a baby who will grow up to be very important to the world...like the one who finds the cure for cancer!!"

God tests us in so many ways.  What doesn't kill us makes us stronger.  Regardless if God has a really important plan for Casey, the most important thing is that we have both changed from this experience and learned so much!!  We have grown closer and have taken our relationship to a level that most couples never experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment